The Challenge: A “Thai” side dish, featuring vegetables and using a porcelain coated wok.
Since this is a side dish, I wanted to keep things simple, but still wanted to create a dish that added a lot of impact to a meal. This quick vegetable stir-fry definitely fits that bill.
From the crispness of the bell peppers to the softness of the mango to the crunch of the cashews, this dish not only has a lot of textures, but adds so much colour to a meal as well. This is a perfect accompaniment to any meal, but is especially lovely to serve outside on a hot summer evening.
I love the saltiness of the soy sauce and the sweetness of the mango. Plus, the coconut-lime marinade adds a nice tropical feel to the whole recipe.
Don’t forget! Starting July 1, 2014, you can vote for your favourite #OGBChallenge recipe and be eligible to win one of five $100 gift cards to Ontario Gas BBQ! Follow all the OGB Challenge action on Twitter by following the hashtag #OGBChallenge and keep watching my blog for more recipes and details about the contest.
grilled vegetable stir-fry
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp (35 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
- 1 can (14 fl oz / 414 mL) coconut milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coconut oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 2 small unripe mangoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 can (15 oz / 425 g) whole miniature corn, drained and cut in half
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 cup (120 g) roasted, unsalted cashew halves
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lime zest, lime juice, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, coconut milk and coconut oil. Set aside.
- Place the red and green bell peppers into a small bowl and pour in half of the lime-coconut marinade. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place the corn into a small bowl and pour in half of the remaining lime-coconut marinade. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place the mangoes into a small bowl and pour in the remaining lime-coconut marinade. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Turn grill burners to Medium-High and pre-heat BBQ to 350° F.
- Place wok onto grill and pre-heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers to the wok and close the BBQ lid for 2 minutes. Open the lid and grill for 15 more minutes, while stirring the peppers with a spatula. The bell peppers should just be starting to get soft (if not, grill a few minutes more).
- Add corn to the wok and close the BBQ lid for 2 minutes. Open the lid and grill for 10 more minutes, while stirring the vegetables with a spatula.
- Add mangoes to the wok and grill for 5 more minutes, while stirring with a spatula.
- Remove the wok from the BBQ and pour vegetable-mango mix into a large bowl.
- Top with coriander and cashews and serve.
Recipe found on www.kitchenfrolic.ca
Check out my other OGB Challenge recipes! Which one do you think the judges will choose to represent my blog in the Voting round?
Day 1: Masala Chicken Drumsticks
Day 2: Grilled Vegetable Stir-Fry
Day 3: Pulled Pork Pitas
Day 4: Grilled Figs with Vanilla-Orange Mascarpone
Day 5: Breakfast Quesadillas
Disclosure: kitchen frolic received a grill wok and monetary compensation in order to develop this recipe and take part in this competition. All opinions we shared in this post are sincere and belong to us alone and were not influenced by the compensation. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.